Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dr. Seuss

We had a fun school day today. Yes, Dr. Seuss's birthday was yesterday, but I forgot, so we celebrated today. I didn't really have a plan, so I just pulled out all of his books that we had. I let the boys each choose one to read, and as we were reading "Oh the Thinks You Can Think" I was inspired to let each of them choose one illustration to draw out of the book of their choice. Noah chose a picture out of "Green Eggs and Ham" and Ethan one out of "Hop on Pop". Simple, but we had a lot of fun with it. I'm sure if I had been prepared (like a good mom) we could have made green eggs and ham or something like that... maybe next year :). There are so many fun things you could do to celebrate Seuss that you could have a whole week of it!

Ethan had a very elaborate show of his. He wouldn't let anyone see it until he was done (which thoroughly annoyed Noah). Then he "presented" it as if it were a masterpiece on display at an art museum. So theatrical, that boy is... I don't know where he gets it.



I had to partake in the fun too,
of course. There was this little guy that I never noticed before at the beginning of "Oh the Thinks You Can Think" with such great words written under him..."From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere." Also, I couldn't resist "red fish". Happy belated birthday Dr. Seuss. Thanks for all of the good books :).

7 comments:

Finding Joy in Simplicity said...

See how easy that was. :) You did it!....your first post. :) I love how free and creative school can be if we just let things happen with only a little bit of guidance. These are the days that our kids remember. :) Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Great drawings! The boys and yours!! You are such a fun mom Dana!! I am inspired! I love this idea!

seasonsreadings.blogspot.com said...

Love your blog! So cute! Love the Suess idea. I'm so boring. We did nothing to celebrate. Next year! ;)P.S. your drawings are amazing, friend! :)

Tomato-bichelle said...

Thank you all so much for your sweet comments! I love blogs for that reason, Katie - finding and sharing inspiration with other moms! Oh, and Lara, don't worry about not doing anything! This is the first year I've done anything - there's always next year :)!

hannahbelle said...

I've decided that Dr. Seuss' birthday is a MUST for celebration now. Thanks for the great idea.

misty said...

I thought you would like this: it is from a blog I like:
I am doing a devotional with our Awana club tonight and used Dr. Seuss’ Green Eggs and Ham book as my “foundation” since it is his birthday today.. Thought I would share the poem I wrote to go along with the talk.

I am God.

God I am.

~

I am with you in a box,

I created the great fox.

I command the rains,

I watch over the trains.

~

Would you, could you, take some time?

Would you, could you, say you are mine?

Will you listen to my voice?

Will you make the right choice?

~

It is as easy as a prayer

And for you I will bare

All your sins here and there,

All your sins everywhere.

~

Would you, could you call my name?

Would you, could you make the claim?

I am waiting, you will see.

Call on me and I will be.

~

I am God.

God I am.

Tomato-bichelle said...

That's cool, Misty! Good idea. Thanks for sharing.